If Dreamforce 2019 is your first Dreamforce, it could be a little daunting. Read on to find out how to survive and thrive at the biggest technology conference in the world.
Dreamforce 2019, The Numbers;
- Held over 4 days, Dreamforce is the largest tech conference in the world.
- 170,000 people, from 103 countries attended last year’s conference.
- 13.5 million online viewers.
- $73 million raised for charity.
- 5815+ hours of hands on training.
- 2,700+ breakout sessions and workshops.
- 542 sales-specific breakout sessions.
- 50+ Visionary Keynote Speakers.
- 12 Dreamforce characters...
- 1 Therapy Pig, Lilou.
Also, there is always a KILLER act at Dreamfest, previous performers have included Metallica, Alicia Keys and U2.
With so much talent packed into a relatively small Metro space, how does a Dreamforce rookie survive AND get the most out of the week? As San Francisco locals, here is our advice.
Arguably this isn’t an innovative idea, however once you pick up your badge, it will be all systems go to catch every keynote, every session and every networking event you can; and we do recommend collecting your badge early to avoid the 170,000 others doing the same. Check out the Dreamforce 2019 website and bookmark the sessions you want to attend. Have a look at our must-attend events and remember to schedule time to eat.
- Grab business cards from your new conections and jot down where you met them and the reason you want to connect on the back.
- Connect with people on LinkedIn there and then. From new connections to presenters and seminar leaders.
- Take a notebook and jot down where to find information related to the workshops and seminars. Knowing where to continue the learning is important to making the most out of the 4-day event.
Leave your laptop at home
Whilst power outlets and Wifi are most definitely available, you’ll be more worried about losing your laptop than using it. Dreamforce always has some exciting content on mobile-first strategies, so here is where your smartphone should shine. As Wifi in the main areas can be a little tricky, we recommend checking out the various Hubs around the city, where Wifi and snacks are a-plenty.
Wear comfortable clothes
Dreamforce is not the place for Louboutin’s or a Hugo Boss suit. You’ll be walking 5+ miles a day, so this week needs to be about being comfortable and professional at all times. Pair your favourite pair of sneakers with jeans and a blazer or your checked shirt with chinos and a pair of comfortable loafers. As locals, we know the SF weather is notoriously unpredictable, even in September, so be sure to pack a leather jacket or wrap to cover all bases. If you’re really stuck for what to wear, check out Salesforce’s handy "What to Wear” guide.
Buy a Clipper Card
The Clipper Card is the all-in-one transit card for the Bay Area. You can use the card on all Bay Area public transport, including Muni, which is the fastest way to get around SF. You might consider also having the Uber or Lyft apps to hand, however expect high surcharges and up to 30 minute waiting times.
Schedule in some time to chill
Slap bang in the middle of the Dreamforce campus is one of the “Most magical places at Dreamforce – Dreamforest!”. Featuring 12+ bands, charitable activities, a climbing wall and great food and coffee at Base Camp Bistro, Dreamforest is THE place to chill out at Dreamforce 2019. If meditation is more your flow, head to the Muse Mindfulness Rooms, (Level 1, Room 175A).
Dreamforce is hectic, it's exhausting but above all, it's fun. Getting the most out of Dreamforce 2019 shouldn't be a stress, provided you do a little prep and make sure you have an action plan for each day.