LinkedIn told me yesterday that it was my 13 year anniversary working at Finlay James. 13 years! Wow, where did that go?
Anyway, sentimental thinking led me to list 13 things I have learnt over the past 13 years, so here goes!
13 things I have learnt...
1. Sales is all about helping the customer. It's not about you.
2. Talent is everything. Hire well or look bad.
3. K.I.S.S - (Keep it simple, stupid). It took me years to figure out this one, and still have to work on it every day!
4. Plan the work, work the plan.
5. Do. Not. Quit. Find a way or make one.
6. Shut up and listen.
7. Try and see things from the other person’s point of view.
8. Learn to make your brain hit the pause button when you get p****d off and feel like lashing out.
9. Feedback. You can give it but can you take it? Even better, do you have the courage to ask for it?!
10. Say sorry when you are in the wrong.
11. In the words of Nike – “Just do it”. Procrastination is the devil.
12. Clear objectives and agreed goals. If you don't have them, go and speak to someone!
13. Hire for attitude, not skill. And while you’re at it, make sure your own attitude is always fit for purpose!
Thank you to all of our customers and all of my colleagues, present and past, for helping me to learn these valuable lessons.
I plan to learn plenty more!
Are you having difficulties finding great sales talent for your team? Finlay James can help. Contact Finlay James today – firstname.lastname@example.org